On October 1, 1915, Sol Krems (b. 1888), an active member of the Seattle Jewish community, begins publishing The Jewish Voice. "The paper," writes Krems, "would enable the Jews of Seattle and the Northwest to become better acquainted with each other" (The Jewish Voice). The paper also prints notices of organizational and congregation events. Many announcements are in Yiddish. Krems had acquired type with Hebrew characters.
He himself, with the help of his wife Sarah Krems (b. 1892) and later his son Nathan (b. 1916) determined content, set the type, and secured advertising.
The Jewish Voice, October 1, 1915; Transcript, Interview of Nathan Krems, Nathan Krems Papers (Acc. 2145), Special Collections, Manuscripts and University Archives, University of Washington Libraries, Seattle.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You