On April 1, 1910, the Seattle City Council approves the creation of an independent Department of Lighting, later known as City Light. The new department is separated from the former Department of Light and Water, which had built the city's first hydroelectric dam at Cedar Falls in 1905, and it is made a full member of the Board of Public Works. James D. Ross (1872-1939) takes charge of the new department in 1911 and serves as its superintendent until 1934.
City Light was a product of mounting public anxiety over monopoly control of Seattle's electric services and street railways. Voters approved bonds for a municipal dam and power plant on the Cedar River in 1902. J. D. Ross supervised construction. The project delivered its first current to Seattle on January 10, 1905.
The Legacy of J. D. Ross
The former Water Department was renamed the Department of Light and Water in 1904 under superintendent L. B. Youngs (1860-1923). R. M. Arms served briefly as the first Superintendent of Lighting before Ross succeeded him in 1911.
Ross guided development of city-owned dams on the Skagit River beginning in 1918. Private utilities deeply resented him. Mayor Frank Edwards dismissed Ross in 1931 and voters promptly recalled him. The new mayor, John F. Dore, immediately rehired Ross, who headed City Light until 1935. He left to join the new Securities Exchange Commission, and died four years later.
Annual Report of the Lighting Department, 1911; Richard C. Berner, Seattle in the Twentieth Century Vols. 1 and 2 (Seattle: Charles Press, 1991 and 1992); Leslie Blanchard, The Streetcar Era in Seattle: A Chronicle of the First Six Decades (Forty Fort, PA: H. E. Cox, 1968); Walt Crowley, Routes: An Interpretive History of Public Transportation in Metropolitan Seattle (Seattle: Metro Transit, 1993); Robert C. Wing, A Century of Service: The Puget Power Story (Bellevue, WA: Puget Sound Power and Light Co., 1987); Warren Wing, To Seattle by Trolley, (Edmonds, WA: Pacific Fast Mail, 1988); City Light and City Clerk/Municipal Archives pages, City of Seattle website (www.cityofseattle.net).
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You