King County Landmarks: Reynolds Farm and Indian Agency (ca. 1870), Auburn vicinity
Address: 16816 SE 384th Street, Auburn vicinity. The Reynolds Farm and Indian Agency is named for Charles A. Reynolds, who worked for the Office of Indian Affairs as the "farmer-in-charge" of the Muckleshoot Reservation from 1898 to 1928. As farmer-in-charge, Reynolds had administrative responsibility for activities such as court cases, road building, school attendance, and land allotments. The site contains an 1880s log house, likely built by an earlier resident of the property. The tall, narrow house, which features hewn logs and a shingle roof, is a rare example of the type of expedient construction favored by early non-Native settlers. In 1914, Reynolds supervised the construction of the large farmhouse which still stands next to the log house.